Guided Tour to the City Centre of Valencia
A highly advisable Guided tour in order to get a nice glimpse of the city.
Visit to the most representative buildings and monuments in a walking tour:
- Serranos Towers, considered the most important military gothic door of Europe.
- Cortes Valencianas or Palacio de Benicarló nowadays it’s the seat of the Valencia Regional Parliament. It’s the ancient Borgia´s family Palace.
- Plaza de la Virgen, it has been and it is the heart of the city since it was founded.
- Basílica de la Virgen de los Desamparados, dedicated to the patroness saint of the city, built in the XVII century in baroque style.
- Palacio de la Generalidad, it is a representative building of the later gothic. Nowadays it is s the seat of the Valencian Government.
- Catedral de Valencia, Although there are vestiges of the 6th century, the present cathedral is a gothic-style based building with additions in later styles. The altarpiece was painted by Fernando Yánez de la Almedina, one of the Leonardo Da Vinci’s disciples. You can also visit The Holy Chalice Chapel, the saint Francisco de Borja chapel, with paintings of Goya.
- El tribunal de las Aguas, it is a 17th century legislative structure, the most ancient of Europe and they resolve the problems of the irrigated fields around Valencia. It meets outside the Gothic Door of the Cathedral every Thursday at midday since more than 1000 years ago.
- Miguelete, the belfry of the Cathedral built in a markedly baroque style and it has great views of the city.
- Torre de Santa Catalina, one of the most original Baroque belfries of the Spanish architecture.
- Plaza Redonda, It is a small interior round Square with a fountain surrounded with beauty and narrow streets full of shops and tapa’s bars.
- Lonja de la Seda,(the Silk Exchange). Built for commercial transactions. It’s divided in three parts: el Salón Columnario (the Columned Salon), el Torreón (the Tower) and el Consulado del Mar (the Sea Consulate). It was made a World Heritage Site by UNESCO cause it is one of the most representative civil gothic monuments in Europe.
- Mercado Central,(Central Market), built in 1914. Modernist style building and one of the biggest markets in Europe.